It is an interface between computer user and computer hardware.
It is the collection of system software used to manage the overall operation of the computer.
prerequisite : Introduction to computing
Basic Function of an Operating System
- Control the hardware and software.
- Responsible for the smooth and efficient operation of the entire computer system.
- Provide GUI interface to make computer system user friendly.
- Network management.
- File management.
- Memory management.
- It control I/O devices.
- Controls execution of programs to prevent errors and improper use of the computer.
- Use the computer hardware and resources in efficient manner.
Features of Operating System
- Efficiency: min input give maximum output
- Size ( in term of the amount of memory):
Open Source vs Closed Source Operating System
- Proprietary software and limited for licensed user.
- User friendly.
- More secured.
- Keep the source files secured and encrypted.
- Company or creator provides limited support or warranty for a limited time period.
- Flexibility depends on company permission.
- You need to pay some cost.
- No need of license.
- Less secured
- Not friendly.
- A community provides full support for a long time.
- Flexibility depends on user community.
- Generally free but some features may cost.
- It allows user to modify source file as per requirement.
Operating System environment
Single-user, single task – As the name implies, this operating system is designed to manage the computer so that one user can effectively do one thing at a time.
Single-user, multi-tasking – This is the type of operating system most people use on their desktop and laptop computers today. Microsoft’s Windows and Apple’s MacOS platforms are both examples of operating systems
Multi-user – A multi-user operating system allows many different users to take advantage of the computer’s resources simultaneously. Unix, VMS and mainframe operating systems